This is the really old fashioned stuff, usually only found in bakeries. A good way of using left over bread, this recipe is a quick version, made in a microwave. Still tastes the same, but more economical than putting the oven on for an hour or so!
submitted by Sandra (0)
on 11th October 2010
- 8 oz stale white bread, broken into bits
- ½ pt milk
- 6 oz dried fruit
- 2 oz marg
- 2 oz sugar
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 large egg
- Ground nutmeg
- Put the bread into a large bowl
- Add the milk
- leave for 1/2 hr or so
- mash up with a fork
- add everything else except nutmeg
- Pour into a greased 6 inch soufflé dish
- Sprinkle with grated nutmeg
- Microwave at full power for about 11 -15 min, until just firm in centre, keep an eye on it, it goes from cooked to overcooked fast!
- If liked, sprinkle with a little extra sugar after baking but while still warm.